Pays du Vouvray
en images
Diapo
Au pays du vouvray
Version Française A+ A A-


 
Home Vouvray 02 47 52 68 73
Pays au coeur des saveurs
Le Pays de Vouvray
Chançay
Monnaie
Reugny
Vemou sur Brenne
Vouvray
Religious Monuments
Vine and Wine Museums
Natural Heritage
Local Heritage
Farm Visits
Did you know ?
Local Celebrities
Wines and Gastronomy
Brotherhoods
The “Route Touristique des Vignobles”
Local markets
“Nature”
Discovery Itineraries
Leisure Activities
Relaxation and reading
Events
Bed & Breakfast
Seasonal rental
Hotels-restaurants
Camping
Collective accomodation
Receptions
Gourmet restaurants
Traditional restaurants
Pizzerias, Pancake houses
Picnic areas
Useful businesses
Bakeries and delicatessen
Arts and crafts
Antique dealers
Emergency service
Home > Sightseeing & Heritage > Religious Monuments

Religious Monuments

Religious Monuments

Saint Georges Chapel
The former parish church of the municipality of Saint Georges, it was attached to Rochecorbon in 1808. Built against the rock face, the chapel dates back to the 11th century and was modified in the 12th. Partially troglodytic, it includes a crypt cut into the tuffeau, a 13th-century stained-glass window, and Romanesque frescoes from the 11th and 13th centuries.
Visits: The Amis de la Chapelle Saint-Georges will take you on guided tours, filling you in on the chapel’s history, on Sundays and public holidays from 2:30 p.m. to 6 p.m., 15 May to 30 October, upon appointment on +33 (0)2 47 52 53 06. Tours free of charge, led by volunteers. Donations are welcome to help pay for organisation of events and restoration of the chapel.
 
       
Saint-Pierre Church, Chançay
The original church was built in the early 12th century and was destroyed by a landslide around 1750. The present edifice, dedicated to Saint Peter, was built under the supervision of the Tours architect Luce, in the tithe barn on the foundations of one of the old château’s towers. It harbours a curiosity mentioned in early manuscripts – a relic of the True Cross gifted to the church in 1285 by Hardouin de Maillé, Lord of Chançay.
Visits: Daily, morning to evening, from 9: 00 / 9:30 AM to 6:00 PM.
 
Monnaie Church
The church in Monnaie comprises a single nave. It was built in the 12th century and restored in 1874. A fragment of Merovingian sculpture can be seen over the door to the sacristy. In bygone days, the church and cemetery stood side by side. The latter was moved in the late 19th century, but still in its place is the monument erected to the memory of the soldiers of the Cléret Brigade who lost their lives on 20 December 1870 in a heroic and unremitting battle against Prussian troops marching on Tours.

Service hours: Sundays at 9:30 a.m.

Visits: Daily, morning to evening from 9  / 9.30 am to 6 pm (summer), to 5 pm (winter). 
 
eglise monnaie
Saint-Médard Church, Reugny
Saint Médard Church dates back to the 11th and 12th centuries. The nave was restored in 1889. The painting of Saint Médard over the altar replaces a magnificent canvas, now in the Musée du Louvre, depicting Louise de La Vallière. The church is adorned with 2 fine chapels, Chapelle de La Vallière in the north transept and Chapelle de la Côte, which was added in the 15th century. Louise de La Vallière frequented this church before entering her Carmelite convent.
Visits: Daily, morning to evening from 9:00 am to 6:00 / 7:00 pm.
eglise Reugny

Sainte-Trinité Church, Vernou sur Brenne
Sainte Trinité Church dates back to the 10th, 12th and early 16th centuries, and was restored in 1870. The present edifice, largely Romanesque in style, replaced a Carolingian building. The nave is topped by a semi-circular panelled ceiling. The chancel contains a 17th-century reredos, and there is a 12th-century baptismal font near the entrance.
Service hours: Sunday at 11 a.m.
Visits: Daily, morning to evening, from 9:00 am to 18:00 pm.

Notre Dame et Saint-Jean Baptiste Church, Vouvray

Notre Dame et St Jean-Baptiste Church dates back to the 11th, 13th and 16th centuries, and was restored and enlarged between 1859 and 1861. The 11th-century nave leads direct to the hillside rock, and the belfry surmounting it was built in the 13th century and modified in the 17th. It has 2 twin windows on each of its faces and has been topped with a slate cupola since 1861. In front of the church is a monument erected to the memory of the musician CHARLES BORDES, who was born at Bellangerie manor in 1863 and was largely responsible for reviving interest in Gregorian music. In 1894, he set up a society for the promotion of early sacred music, the famous SCHOLA CANTORUM. Bordes died at the age of 46, acclaimed by all the composers of his time, and is buried in Vouvray cemetery.

Service hours: Saturdays at 8 a.m. and 6:30 p.m., Wednesday and Thursday mornings at 7:30 a.m., Tuesdays at 6 p.m., the 3rd Sunday of each month at 6 p.m.: Gregorian Mass, every Sunday at 6 p.m.: vespers and benedictions.

Visits: Daily morning to evening, from 9:00 am to 18:00 pm.
 

 

vignobles et découvertes atout-france Pays d'art et d'histoire Val de Loire Touraine Loire Valley Pays Loire Touraine Communauté Touraine-Est Vallées
Press | Sitemap | Legales mentions | Our partners | Internet address | Professional access | Contact